View Single Post
Amyjay
Magnate

Member Since Mar 2017
692 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 31, 2020 at 06:41 PM

Yes, it is at the point where it can be called abuse. It is definitely harming you emotionally.

Onceuptonatime I was that parent who expected perfection of my children without realizing the damage it was causing them. I wonder if it would be possible to show your parents this post and let them know how you feel. SOME parents who do this kind of thing can change their behavior if they are shown how much it it damaging their child. Ultimately they are likely doing this because they really do want the best for you.... but they are blind to the harm they are causing you because of their anxiety about your future and their unrealistic demands. Their want is for their child to be successful and high achieving. They are forgetting to see YOU. They are not seeing YOU. And they are not seeing how much you are hurting, or how much their behavior is driving you further and further away from them (and, obviously, driving you further and further away from being able to fulfil their dreams).
I think there is the possibility that if you can find a way to truly let them know how their behavior is affecting you it *might* help them see how harmful their behavior is, and you might be able to affect some change. I realize this is a massive ask of a 14 year old kid. Do you have a school guidance counselor who might be able to help you?
But yes, this is harmful and abusive behavior on their part (although they probably wouldn't see it that way). and you do have the right to do something about it. It would be really helpful if you could find a trusted adult to help you address it.
Amyjay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AzulOscuro