View Single Post
HarperF

Member Since Oct 2020
7 hugs
given
Default Nov 05, 2020 at 05:41 AM

Thank you for the reply. I've got some update on this, as we've just had a session with T again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerEsme View Post
In this thread, you are very oriented toward taking care of your therapist, and empathizing with her, mentalizing.

This is backwards.
At this point I'm wondering if I'm unfit to psychotherapy as a whole, as I really do care about the other person, as a person. I see that T has some difficulties. Where this troubles me is that the problem is T and I became too close personally. I could really handle this closeness, but T seen this as practically indistinguishable from a friendship - hence unprofessional.

Quote:
She might be on to something about the dynamic, but she is handling it unprofessionally herself.

There is zero pressure on you to be "professional", you are the patient here.
I'm might be just splitting hairs here, but I certainly don't feel like a patient as I certainly have no clinical pathology. I'm there for self-knowledge, better adjustment, more efficient functioning.

Quote:
Part of her job is to offer a safe space consistently, and you seem to now feel the relationship is threatened . You shouldn't be in the position of needing to set boundaries and telling your own T to work this out in supervision, but here you are.
I felt safe throughout. I'm apprehensive about the future. It was T who thought the boundaries were too loose, so T asserted this, but did so in an overly vulnerable way. I guess the reason was that I did not find the boundaries being too loose in the first place, if anything, just ideal for myself, and being in an excellent empathic connection, T could sense this, and me first in the relationship, only to realize later, T made a mistake by neglecting T's own professional needs of keeping a certain distance, neutrality and anonimity.

What T did find uncomfortable and was vocal about is having our sessions reach over 30 minutes of assigned time and attributed it to T's compensation for making too much self-disclosure, therefore using my time on T's interest. (these boundary crossings in time did not mess up T's nor my daily schedule though)

However, I've found T's self-disclosures immensely helpful, so we've concluded that this was an insecurity on T's part. We are now keeping time.

I guess another boundary looseness that makes T uneasy is my friendly, direct conduct. I am not willing to give up on this, as I have to be congruent in the relationship in order to work on myself. T reciprocated this. We could really connect as two persons. This might be fine with person-centered therapists (my orientation) but unprofessional by T's standards.

Quote:
It seem like a good amount of countertransference is affecting her. I hope she steps up next session and repairs.

I wonder if she has trouble accepting care in her real life, or if the whole backdrop of 2020's stresses is getting to her?
T disclosed this has only happened with me from all of T's clients.

Quote:
You seem like a rewarding client, open-minded, self aware , and insightful .
I wonder if I really am. It looks like my closeness and our personal fit is standing on the way of objectivity - T finds being opposite to being subjectivity. This dichotomy causes great anxiety in T.

Where my anxiety comes from at the moment, if we can't carry on counseling, will I lose the personal and the psychologist-psychologist dimension of my relationship with T? T is extremely conscientious and considers to be conservative. We're colleagues after all, and actively do the same sports. Post-termination meetings are inevitable.

I mentioned to T, I'm ready to consider termination, as I've gained so much from our sessions. T agreed, but for now we're checking how we're working out. After our previous sitting I felt a bit like we're committing violence to our natural relationship, so I'm leaning more towards termination.

It would hurt me though letting T go completely out of my life, as T was an important, personal ally when talking, as psychologist-to-psychologist, about professional issues. I guess that might been a gray area T didn't had cleared up, as T acted like a real person, someone who T is not comfortable with in the framework of therapeutic work in retrospect. What is hard at the moment is that it's clear that T can't handle this smoothly. I would be happy to make this a collaborative effort, but that really takes its toll on T, and I'm naturally concerned about our personal relationship. To add insult to injury, T has disclosed a couple of months ago, that T always had very bad experience with each of T's supervisors.

When things are as complicated as this, I think termination is probably the best option, as T's therapeutic framework with such elements is practically unmanageable.

Last edited by HarperF; Nov 05, 2020 at 06:08 AM..
HarperF is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, LonesomeTonight