View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 08, 2020 at 05:28 PM

I'm formal with strangers to this day. It was supposed to be the norm to show respect to adults, when I was a kid. We were also taught to refer to our aunts and uncles as "Aunt X" and "Uncle Y". Even today, when I address an adult male or female I know little or not at all, I call them Sir or Ma'am. I refer to younger people I don't know well as "Young Man", or "Young Lady" or more casually to two or more younger kids as "Boys" and "Girls".

Another rule was that I said hello to people. Kids (and even adults) nowadays seem to have been taught that it is unnecessary or even "dangerous", which is ridiculous and tragic.

I'm from a time when kids could go out and play, unattended, for hours. Even very young kids. However, we had a rule that we HAD to be home for dinner at 5 pm. We also ate family sit-down dinners. We had chores to do, as well. Sassing and cursing were not tolerated. I rarely curse even to this day.

When I was a little kid I had to go to bed at 8 pm. It wasn't an option not to. That's when we were tucked in to bed. Nowadays I hear little kids still awake outside at 11 pm, or even later, with their parents.

My husband and I never had kids, so I obviously haven't "changed with times".
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
lizardlady

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, lizardlady