View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2013
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 08, 2020 at 05:50 PM

It appears to be common.

Psych hospitalization only addresses acute illness. I don't think they help suicidal people very much, besides keeping them safe for a short period of time. After the immediate crisis is over, they are nearly useless.

Most of my hospitalizations helped but not a whole lot. The place was triggering. I kept to myself. Hearing other people's reasons for being their depressed me and made me feel like my problems were insignificant. A lot of that had to do with being misdiagnosed and feeling unheard and respected.

The staff psychiatrist I was assigned to was decent enough. My outpatient psychiatrist worked at the same hospital, so I was able to get somewhat decent care. They tried to help and never threw me out like some patients there experienced.

The psych inpatient unit I stayed at was filled with elderly who had dementia and oncology patients who were depressed from their treatments. There were some psychotic patients waiting for housing placements. It was actually a really depressing place to be at.

I briefly participated in a day program. It was a joke, so I quit. I found it very invalidating and triggering. There was a lot of bad behavior there. Witnessing other patients yell at staff wasn't particularly helpful. Actually I found it traumatic.

I avoid hospitals even when I am suicidal. Usually I get through on my own. Somehow that comforts me.

Hugs from:
TunedOut

Thanks for this!
TunedOut