SlumberKitty is staying stable.

5 yr Member
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 16, 2020 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_little_didgee View Post

Could there be an element of distraction? Getting stitches could be a temporary escape from whatever is bothering you. My recent work accident has made me wonder about this.

A few weeks back I cut my middle finger on a piece of sheet metal that someone carelessly placed on a cart when I walked by it. It required 3 stitches on my middle finger. My boss sent me to Emergency. The physician's assistant who repaired my wound was entertaining. I really enjoyed my interaction with her. Plus I got paid while I was there and got the next day off. It was nice to have a brief paid break from work.

Could self-harm reflect a lack of coping options?

I'm glad you are feeling better.
Yeah, I think there could be an element of distraction. It's also self care in the extreme (or other care?) Like someone else taking care of me. When I SH, which I haven't done in a while, it's helpful to cover with gauze and so forth. It's soothing and comforting. So is getting stitches. And it requires someone giving me attention. Not that I SH for attention, but there is an element of saying...."Look, I am not okay right now!" And the medical professional has to see that, and then another medical professional has to see that when they take out the stitches. It's like a validation of the internal pain.

Luckily I have a lot more coping skills now than I did before. Hopefully I won't ever have to get stitches again.