fern46
Grand Magnate

Member Since Mar 2019
4,300 hugs
given
Default Nov 17, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose72 View Post
My sister called me about an hour ago. She has identical twin boys who are 19. She called all worried about one of them, G. She said he's talking a mile a minute, saying that the "sun is God" and he's got various umpteen projects that he can do (he named them), he can play the piano and he keeps banging away at it aimlessly because he really CANNOT play the piano, and he's not sleeping or eating and this has been going on for a week. She wanted to know if maybe he was having a manic episode. There's so much more but I just can't remember it all! I said if he were me or one of my kids, I'd take him to the psych ER, but with covid being really bad right now, it's a tough decision. She said she called the psych office and got a zoom appointment for Thursday, but that that seemed like an awfully long time to let this go on like this. I said that there's always the psych ER. They could evaluate him and maybe prescribe him something and/or put him in the hospital, but with covid that doesn't seem like a good idea. I suggested just calling the psych ER to see what they have to say. She's really worried about him. I told her to make sure he doesn't drive and she said he's not driving and that his sister has gone with him on walks. The thing about the psych ER now is that they won't let anybody wait around in the waiting room which means if the doctors wanted to get my sister's imput they'd have to phone her, I guess. But right now she is just crossing her fingers and waiting for Thursday, which she isn't so sure is the right thing to do. What would you do if this were your (just!) adult kid?
That's so difficult. These things escalate so very quickly. I would push for the ER considering this sounds like mania with full blown psychosis. It has crossed into the religious territory and some people (hand raised) have a tendency to escalate into needed to save the world when we get like this. That is an incredibly dangerous place to be in.

I can also speak to this as a caretaker of someone who was in full blown psychosis. It is exhausting and it gets ugly when your family member all of a sudden feels you are against them. The time for help is now. This will not resolve on its own. I recognize the covid risk, but this is a life threatening reality. Covid is a life threatening possibility.

Is he on any substances? Pot? Other meds?

It is good she had you to talk things over with.
fern46 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*