View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM

My husband is a Czech and his father was a neuropsychiatrist. Given that, my husband knew that the term "akathisia" was coined by the Czech neuropsychiatrist Dr. Ladislav Haskovec, over 100 years ago, even before antipsychotics were used. The term itself is based on the Greek meaning "inability to sit". Back then, all Czech doctors would have studied Latin, and sometimes also Greek. To learn more about that history, see the journal article below.

Ladislav Haskovec and akathisia: 100th anniversary

Back in my father-in-law's day (he would be 114 now), neuropsychiatry was more a norm than having separate subspecialties of psychiatry and neurology. There are some arguments for restoring the combined study. To read about that see Neuropsychiatry - Wikipedia. In that Wiki is a quote by a Harvard Medical School professor and dean that "the separation of the two categories is arbitrary, often influenced by beliefs rather than proven scientific observations. And the fact that the brain and mind are one makes the separation artificial anyway."

Yes, f-i-l would be 114 years old this year. He was over 52 when my husband was born, and my husband is almost 13 years older than me. I never met him.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Nov 20, 2020 at 11:26 AM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Fuzzybear, MuddyBoots, RoxanneToto