Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 21, 2020 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
My problem is that they are treating his adhd, which is neurodivegence, as bad behavior and trying to punish it to fix it, instead of help him deal with it in a healthy way.

I do think the AD he is on is particularly problematic as well.

I don’t agree with them treating his adhd as bad behavior but I also do not see personal value in embracing the neurodiverse theory when it comes to these conditions. The reason I feel this way is that the neurodiverse proponents sometimes ignore valid treatments including medication, and focus on a more broad definition of neurodiversity which seems to encompass all the positives while not acknowledging or treating the disabilities which contribute to that theory when there are scientifically sound ways to do so. I’m not saying that medicine always helps or that it’s the only way but i think that viewing someone with adhd as simply neurodiverse is a matter of opinion and belief.

It sounds like his parents are actually leaning on the neurodiverse idea by assuming his deficits are bad choices and bad behavior that he is choosing to behave that way. People with adhd or other brain conditions still must be held to a standard of some sort. And that includes anger and emotional triggers and trauma. Someone with adhd is still expected to attempt to self monitor. If that self monitoring is not possible or not working out many recommend therapy and behavior modification. I think a combination of medication and therapy is the best bet. I say all of this as someone with severe adhd in addition to other things. It’s just my opinion.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote