Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,263 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 21, 2020 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

I don’t agree with them treating his adhd as bad behavior but I also do not see personal value in embracing the neurodiverse theory when it comes to these conditions. The reason I feel this way is that the neurodiverse proponents sometimes ignore valid treatments including medication, and focus on a more broad definition of neurodiversity which seems to encompass all the positives while not acknowledging or treating the disabilities which contribute to that theory when there are scientifically sound ways to do so. I’m not saying that medicine always helps or that it’s the only way but i think that viewing someone with adhd as simply neurodiverse is a matter of opinion and belief.

It sounds like his parents are actually leaning on the neurodiverse idea by assuming his deficits are bad choices and bad behavior that he is choosing to behave that way. People with adhd or other brain conditions still must be held to a standard of some sort. And that includes anger and emotional triggers and trauma. Someone with adhd is still expected to attempt to self monitor. If that self monitoring is not possible or not working out many recommend therapy and behavior modification. I think a combination of medication and therapy is the best bet. I say all of this as someone with severe adhd in addition to other things. It’s just my opinion.
That's fine to have your opinion, Sarah, but I'm actually watching this and watching them punish and punish and punish without giving him any tools to manage his anger or other emotions. I'm well aware and pretty sure my post spoke to my awareness and knowledge of other methods of treatment to help him. Your understanding of neurodivergence is actually 100% backwards. It's not toward labeling things as bad behaviors at all, nor is it on relying on medication.

I think you're ignoring the full picture I've illustrated of the emotional abuse going on and focusing in on one thing and that's not super helpful.

I really don't like the tenor of your comment. I don't really have the energy to argue with you or educate you right now. Please don't continue on this vein in this thread. Thanks.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote