Member Since Sep 2013
1,403 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 27, 2020 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyGirl View Post
Good morning,

My husband and I are 36 years old. We've been married 12 years and our marriage has become increasingly difficult since we started having children 7 years ago. We have two kids now. I've also felt like we do not have an emotional connection nor valued in our relationship. All he seems to care about are 'tasks' and disregards my feelings. I'm looking for companionship and I'm having a hard time finding it with him.

Recently we are dealing with him being newly diagnosed with autism. Can anyone give me tips how to cope?

Thank you,
Jennifer
Hi BlueSkyGirl. I can appreciate that it can be hard living with loved ones on the spectrum... I say this as the husband and myself being the autistic one in the relationship.

Based on personal experience, I hope that things become easier for you now that a diagnosis has been made and that you both now have something that makes sense of what was probably bewildering for both of you beforehand.

I was around about your age when I was diagnosed and before that my relationship was becoming very rocky... mainly based on my wife thinking I was just being a callous jerk... and half the time I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

It's still been hard work... and I say this as being so for my wife, as I recognize that she has been the one making the most adjustments. With that being said, marriage is a partnership, so I hope that you're not finding it to be a one-way street.

Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA): UK
ToeJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote