View Single Post
NaoSky

Member Since Nov 2020
90 hugs
given
Default Nov 30, 2020 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleBean View Post
It depends on the job really. For awhile after I was first diagnosed, I couldn't work at all. Then I worked as a probate clerk which despite giving me much needed structure was awful. I was surrounded by death everyday, and the bureaucratic ******** just increased my rage. Eventually, after a series of other jobs, I found my way into academia. As long as I find meaning and intellectual engagement in my work and can maintain a routine, I do ok. That's not to say there aren't rough periods, but work usually helps me cope, lets me disappear into it. I do not discuss my illness with my colleagues. I don't want it to define me, and academia is a weird place full of weird people that isn't always as accepting as you'd hope.
That’s so good that you find value and meaning from your job!! I’m really hoping that returns to me because I have always loved my job and I can’t picture myself doing anything else. I’ve only told one person at my job and told him to keep it confidential because I don’t want to face any stigma over this illness.
NaoSky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote