View Single Post
KBMK

Member Since Aug 2020
612 hugs
given
Default Dec 02, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
The loss itself is never anything one can really prepare for. And when it happens we have to face how there are things that happen in our lives that we do not have any control over. That's hard enough, but then there is a stage that I call the realization of absence. It's very personal, because it's how that presence had an affect on you personally.

My father in law is having a hard time since his wife died. He gets angry when anyone tells him to let go and move on etc. I have to say, that is NOT how to respond to someone struggling. My FIL talks about how his wife was his sweetheart for 70 years. And I know he needs to be able to talk about it, so I let him talk and "feel" so he isn't "feeling alone". My MIL was a very kind and patient woman, and everyone misses her.

Honestly, we never JUST get over a loss, we SLOWLY learn to live our lives despite that absence. That means learning how to do our holidays without that presence and it's not easy. When it's there we get so used to it being there, we don't really think about it not being there. But when it is lost, we slowly realize the value of life. If we did not struggle like this, we would not enjoy togetherness, we would not care at all and if that was the case, we would not have survived the way we have.
I can't imagine what your father in law is going through, and why anyone would push him to move on after all those years together.
It is hard to realize the absence...it is true, and I had felt that, but not thought of it in that way.
It's true that I miss people from my past, and miss sometimes the physical presence, but then it is very personal to feel what is missing from your own life. Like you say, it does make the importance of togetherness SO apparent. Thank you
KBMK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes