Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 03, 2020 at 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
I know I’m going to be diagnosed with an eating disorder very soon. But I don’t know which one. I usually eat like 1200 calories a day. Once a week I overeat. I eat the same stuff all the time. I avoid certain foods and just avoid specific things in general like meds that cause hunger or weight gain even if they are helping. I take my meds at different times to correlate with my hunger. I drink large amounts of diet iced tea and diet soda and water. I use substances so I can sleep through hunger. Basically I just avoid and restrict. But once a week I give myself a cheat day.
I am not sure if these practices sound like an eating disorder. Many of the things you are doing (like usually eating 1200 calories a day but cheating once a week) sound perfectly normal to me (if they aren't then I have a worse disorder than you do but I don't feel like I do. ) When I was in my 20s, I drank a lot of Diet Coke but haven't drank sodas for years. I have read in many articles that diet sodas aren't very good for us. When I can afford it, I drink San Pellegrino or Perrier water instead. Also, because my chemo caused me to need more electrolytes and minerals, I recently started occasionally drinking Propel--the peach and orange flavored ones are my favorite. Not sure what is bad about diet iced tea other than the caffeine (especially if you are drinking it in the afternoon or at dinner) can make it harder to get to sleep. It does sometimes take longer to fall asleep when you are hungry but I have always heard it is better to have light meals at dinner. My grandmother always told me, "Eat like a king at breakfast, a queen for lunch and a pauper at dinner." I have followed this advice to some extent my entire life. IMO quitting meds that cause weight gain is something many of us have to consider--both our physical bodies and our minds are important so we have to consider are some meds worth it if they sabotage our physical health?

Also, I have never been a "picky" eater but IMO, some people are just born this way -- one of my siblings has always been a "picky" eating IMO lol. I have seen studies showing that some children are just born with a pallet that likes vegetables such as broccoli while other children can't stand it because their taste buds register a strong bitter taste. There is nothing wrong with them for not eating their broccoli. I know many people who prefer eating the same foods and don't like to try new things--do you think you only eat certain foods because they are simply the ones you like?

Last edited by TunedOut; Dec 03, 2020 at 03:52 AM..
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote