Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,646 hugs
given
Default Dec 16, 2020 at 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie123 View Post
Keeping a journal can help. The Verbally Abusive Relationship by Patricia Evans saved my life after 31 years of verbal and physical abuse. xo I (also) regretted not leaving earlier, but I told myself that I did what I did....when I was able to.....I don't blame myself.....that is just useless.
Thank you @Marie123.

I do keep a journal and write in it nearly every day now. I am also listening to lots of podcasts on the abusive relationship and specifically on narcissistic abuse, since that's what I suffered.

Someone (a woman) on my Facebook abuse group said this, and it resonates:

"Past you was doing her best, and was growing. Growing into the person she was meant to be, more confident, more willing to stand up for herself. She did what she could with the skills and knowledge she had then, and she tried to make the best of it. You are so brave for going through all of that. Past you would be so proud of present you for surviving all the bad days so far."

I also wanted the fairytale. I was 48, never been married, had 2-3 broken prior engagements and I really wanted to get married. He presented a version of the fairytale to me, and I didn't want (at the time) to ruin it.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote