Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 19, 2020 at 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces79 View Post
How do you know when its time to try inpatient?

She claims nothing works, she's cutting herself and says she has suicidal thoughts but no plan to carry it out. We only started treatment in August though and the picking her up from school is usually because the kids are calling her horrible names for not being straight and "normal".
There is no tried and true way of knowing but personally I decided for myself it was time. I got referrals from the school and she started seeing a therapist. When it seemed like that wasnt helping and I knew self harm was either a possibility or happening we took her to a good er (one that had a psyche side) and told them what was going on. When there is a minor involved social workers also work with the families and we told ours that she needed to get stable on meds and safe and we felt we coudnt guarantee her safety if things stayed as they were. We were there overnight where the social workers worked on finding a good place that had a bed and took our insurance. Then we followed the ambulance over to that hospital and filled out the necessary paperwork and then had to say our goodbyes. We went for visitation the very next day and from then on after that. Both my girls did stepdown programs- inpatient to PHO to IOP. It is my belief that calling their "bluff" (even though it wasnt a bluff) was what got them and us serious about taking their mental health seriously and being a part of the solution.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote