Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 21, 2020 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronalight View Post
Hi
I wonder whether or not I should contact the therapist directly regarding my daughter's progress? I understand that the specifics of the conversations they are having are strictly private and I fully respect that.
My answer to this would be no--in most cases. The therapist cannot even confirm your daughter is a client and even if your daughter gives permission for the therapist to talk to you, in most instances they won't. There's a few exceptions in cases of if your daughter is planning to harm you there is a warning they have to give.

The only reason I would contact your daughter's therapist would be if there were any concerning things that could be dangerous to your daughter. I.E. your daughter hurting herself. Your daughter planning on hurting herself. Your daughter having hallucinations or paranoia. And really in those cases, even with COVID, I'd say get her to a hospital ASAP and contact the therapist later. The hospital can do an assessment and decide whether IP (inpatient) is needed. Ideally take her to a hospital that has mental health services. Any ER can help you but the standard of care is variable. Like where I live none of the hospitals have a psych unit. The closest ones who do are an hour and 15 minutes away or an hour and 30 minutes away but it really is better for me to go there than to go to just any ER and then have to get transferred.

Hugs from:
coronalight