View Single Post
delightful

Member Since Feb 2020
13 hugs
given
Default Dec 23, 2020 at 02:05 PM

My writing. So far, this is very exciting. I have the ideas, but I haven't come to the problems yet.
My characters are going to the Yukon in winter. Sandy is a First Nations Northern Tutchone elder. He's coming back to his homeland to die. Jody has to come with him because she has no where else to go. She's terrified of storms. Will is a Mountie widower with three kids. The oldest is moody and rebellious. He has been since his mother died.
There will be meth labs, abandoned gold mines, and Vision quests.
My writing goes like this - I begin to write, then come across something I don't know and end up surfing the net looking up info about the Klondike gold rush and First Nations history. Protocol is very important among First Nations, and I don't want to write something that will offend someone. The way I have Jody talking to Sandy now breaks several rules of protocol. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to learn. It took me about two days to figure out the route Sandy and Jody would take from Vancouver to Mayo, the closest town to Sandy's cabin. There's so much that I want to include. But I'll write the main plot first, and then fill in with the fluff. Watching the videos of Dawson City and the Klondike gold rush, and First nations is really fun, and I spend a lot of time watching videos on YouTube. Right now, Sandy is my favorite character. Probably the hardest thing will be to make Jody into an interesting character.

Okay, I'll see what comes out of brain - or that mysterious somewhere of ideas that tell me they want me use them. It feels like the story tells me what to write, not the other way around.

Happy stepping, and Merry Christmas.