View Single Post
Whereto52

Member Since Feb 2020
34 hugs
given
Default Dec 27, 2020 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulOscuro View Post
I do understand you. I had to go through all this in the past. I know how hard is.
And I do understand your struggle to afford a therapist and all.

I can tell you some of the advises my psychologist told me when my anxiety got the most of me. Of course, sure there are articles in gloogle and books more helpful. For example I have a book about social skills but it’s by two Spanish psychologist and I didn’t find a translation in English.

My psych used to tell me, when you feel blocked out, and need to keep a conversation, look around for clues, it will probably give you a topic to talk about.
I sometimes use this tip. For instance if you are in a bar, you could talk or ask about this or that bottle of liquor from the self. Or if there’s a pic, ask about it.

Sometimes, I invent an excuse to quit the place for some minutes (going to the restroom, or going out to make a call...) so I can breath and get rid a little of my pressure and think about what to say.

The best is to be present. Focus on what people are saying, this is when mindfulness makes sense.

Asking questions or ask the listener to tell you more about what (s)he has just told you, also help to vaseline a conversation and feel yourself more comfortable.

I’m listening to me while writing this to you and I think I’m giving the impression that I’m master or that I follow these tips very well and all it’s marvellous.
Don’t get this picture because I still suck at social abilities, still hard for me. I only try to do my best.
I think finding a topic based on my surroundings is pretty hard. Most of the time I go to a friends house or they come to mine. Bars or anything like that were never really my thing.

Being present it always good.Found this tip also in one of the books I have.I also understand now what that actually means in context of a conversation. Concentrating on the other person instead of turning it on to myself helps with following the conversation better and finding better answers.

Though my body is going crazy in those moments. I feel dizzy, my arms get numb and I feel like there is something stuck in my throat. Still need to find a way to work around that.
Do you also get those wierd symptomps and got and advice on how to reduce them?

You actually sound very soical. So I guess you probably don't really lack social skills. It is maybe more your anxiety telling you that
Whereto52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote