View Single Post
SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 28, 2020 at 01:40 PM

I was wondering how your holidays went and if your daughter's sleep schedule has gotten better? Of course it can be very hard right now because of the holidays and routines tend to get messed up during the holidays and with New Years coming up that can be difficult too. Please be patient with your daughter--as it sounds like you are doing. It can be difficult when one wants to see results sooner rather than later. However, growth will come on her own schedule. It sounds like she is waiting until after the holidays to start working on stuff, when she can see her therapist again, is that correct? I know she is an adult so it can be difficult to know how much to ask or whether to just wait for your daughter to tell you. Certainly remind your daughter that you are there for her if she wants to talk.

Do you happen to know what kind of therapist your daughter is seeing? It could be social worker, MFT, PhD or a whole bunch of other things. I am just concerned because you said something like she expects that she is a life coach. Life coaches are very different from therapists and you don't necessarily have to be licensed to be a life coach whereas to be a therapist you do. (You can be a counselor without being licensed, I think, but you cannot be a therapist without being licensed.) Some people get a lot of benefit out of life coaches...I've always been wary of them due to the severity of my problems.

I hope your holidays went well and I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I wasn't online much over the holiday. I hope your daughter's sleep is getting straightened out. That can take a long time. Also watch for dips in moods in January and February. Sometimes, not all the time, people who did well over the holiday may experience difficulty in mood in the January and February months. Most people think that most suicides occur during the holidays but I think that is misleading. I'll try to find the reference. Holiday Suicides: Fact or Myth|Suicide|Violence Prevention|Injury Center|CDC this one is from the cdc which is a government website that says that it is a myth and actually it peaks in the spring and fall. So just be aware the moods change over time. Getting through the holidays is a good thing but don't stop being vigilant. Ironically, I learned when I studied for a short time to be a social worker (switched my major to business) that if a person starts feeling better it can actually be a sign that they have decided to commit suicide. Just watch for other signs like giving things away, tiding up personal belongings etc. Not to scare you, just to let you know. As someone who has attempted twice, both of mine were in the fall and I didn't really give much warning, I was rather impulsive. My parents were blindsided both times.

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping for health for your daughter. I'll pray if that is okay with you. Kit

Hugs from:
coronalight