8 yr Member
2,307 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 28, 2020 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinClementine View Post
Hi All,

My brother was formerly diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I am the only person in my very large family who still talks to him (as far as I know). He turned 30 yesterday. He lives alone in a room in a shared boarding house and has been relatively stable for the last couple of years. Before that he was homeless for a while and in and out of jail for small crimes.

We kind of talk. He texts me images he likes from Reddit. Sometimes he doesn't respond to my texts. I visited him back in July (he lives two hours away) and he didn't wear a mask properly and that really irked me. Since then we text a little. I buy him art supplies and I recently bought him a book. I think he's mad at me because I said I would visit more recently and backed out, but when we "hang out" he just sits there and doesn't talk. I told him he has to at least try to be conversational with me- really because it is very painful for me to visit him. I feel like he just wants me to buy him things and neither of us has very much money.

I feel sad about this and don't know what to do.
Caring is a precious gift you give. Even if you just hang out together he is with a human being. Some of the most talented, caring people I have known were diagnosed with schizophrenia.

I found a few sites that I have not personally used but they may be of interest:

Helping Someone with Schizophrenia - HelpGuide.org

Support Groups for Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia Center - EverydayHealth.com

If he is looking for support, here is the forum on this site.
https://mysupportforums.org/schizoph...and-psychosis/

There may be state or federal or local programs that would help him get food or support. Contact local support organizations in their city.

And most importantly, take care of yourself. Good self care is the best way to be able to take care of others.
@CANDC

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RamblinClementine

Thanks for this!
Fuzzybear, TunedOut