View Single Post
Revu2
Grand Member

Member Since Aug 2013
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 02, 2021 at 12:41 PM

Began wordplay this morning while idling in bed with "surprise." Does it mean 'extra prize'? Ooo, it's more violent: "unexpected attack or capture."

Maybe a closer word to my inner sense is surplus: super + more. Running away with thoughts of super + pride around some recent achievements.

Why this running inner announcer boosting my self-pride. Growing feelings of pride, sur + pride, surpride, hubris. Greek, meaning presumption toward the gods.

Quote:
Some interesting notes from: Hubris: The Dangers of Excessive Pride and Confidence – Effectiviology
… hubris occurs when a person displays excessive levels of pride, confidence, or self-importance in various ways, such as by wildly overestimating their abilities, or by refusing to believe that they can ever make a mistake.

Note: in Greek mythology, the punishment for hubris often came from Nemesis, the goddess of retribution, and the term “nemesis” is sometimes used to refer to the punishment or destruction that one experiences as a result of their hubris.

The main danger of hubris is that it clouds people’s judgment in various ways, which causes the hubristic individual to make decisions that are bad for them and for others who are affected by those decisions.

For example, since hubris involves overconfidence in one’s knowledge and abilities, it can lead people to overestimate their ability to achieve positive outcomes in various domains, which causes them to take unnecessary risks. Similarly, hubris can lead people to overestimate the validity and reliability of their intuitions, and consequently to over-rely on those intuitions while avoiding a proper reasoning process, especially if it involves discussions with others.

Furthermore, hubris is also associated with a range of additional issues, such as recklessness and impulsiveness, loss of contact with reality, unwillingness to consider undesirable outcomes, refusal to feel accountable to others, difficulties in facing changing realities, reliance on a simplistic formula for success, and impaired moral awareness, all of which can lead to adverse outcomes.
Reworded Tips:
  • Always consider the dangers of hubris and the very high stakes and risks involved.
  • Enter internal performance reviews through my “failure” doors.
  • When I discover my hubristic thoughts, Stop!
  • Any sudden success is not my ‘fault’ so accept it with good humor.
  • Let people ground me.
  • Listen.
  • Care about others; care about the details.

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote