View Single Post
coronalight

Member Since Nov 2020
9 hugs
given
Default Jan 02, 2021 at 11:27 PM

Kit, my daughter has been making an effort to wake up mid-morning every day, out of her own will, and she seems OK most of the time. We talked about some of her thoughts&worries but I am quite afraid to ask more questions so I do not cross boundaries. I think she is vulnerable and she is better off talking with her therapist before she shares more. Despite our best efforts to look calm and supporting, the atmosphere in our home is quite tense because we are afraid we could trigger a bad reaction/episode. The good news is that have a kitten that takes the edge off.

I read your reply above, the part with feeling better as a sign of deciding to commit suicide, and I am scared and concerned but grateful you mentioned it. She made it clear to us that she is not suicidal and I do hope her therapist is better equipped to assess this risk. When school resumes, my daughter wants to go back to her university accommodation, where she lives alone, and she could meet her therapist in person instead of zoom sessions from home. She reluctantly accepted to stay home for now and this made her sad.

I have no idea if the benefits of in-person therapy sessions outweigh the risks of living alone during lockdowns, when you are depressed.

Her therapist worked for top colleges as a counselor for over ten years; she worked as well in private practice, with teenagers and young adults, so she seems qualified. She has a bachelor's degree in the field and additional related training, she is not a social worker.

I mentioned life couching as in advice on making a schedule, setting goals, etc besides helping her heal and slowly build up hope and motivation.

Kit, thank you for your prayers and for the time you take to give me much needed advice.
coronalight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote