Grand Member
Revu2 tweak

10 yr Member
4 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 03, 2021 at 09:32 PM

First, finding flaws.

I spent lots of time in 2020 looking for flaws in social logic. There's plenty. One current one is the c-vax is not fully tested. Many "front line" health mishmash (usually called a 'system.' Ha, that's a flaw right there) workers are refusing the vax. But, these vaxxes are as sound as any, just accelerated through the standard 3 rounds of trials.

But the three so far:
1. My Credit Union showed a balance due of both Zero and 98¢. Twice we thought we'd paid it off in December only to find a pesky balance showing up. We could call this 3 flaws, cept it probably is the same one.
2. I watched an Amazon delivery man place a box at a building in which clearly is still being constructed. I got it and walked the 5 houses down the street and delivered it to the right address.
3. My partner signed up for what she thought was a one-time support payment on Change.org only to see that they were going to take a monthly donation to Change. Figured out how to cancel but to my mind, they have the staff, the time, & ways to test, so it was a flaw (or intentional) that it happened at all.

Now for failures: So many. What got me to thinking about this was a blogger's project to collect failure stories. Also, Stanford University has a Failure Project, and my local university when it allows students on campus mimicked S.U. a couple of years and had their own failure project. I think it might help me to confess a few.

1. I pulled myself out of line for getting my drivers license while in high school. During drivers ed, I got distracted by a question from the instructor and swerved. Totally spooked me that maybe I wasn't ready for the scanning attention required.
2. When I did want my license, I overreached and tried to pass with a manual transmission. Failed that way 3 times. Finally passed with an automatic.
3. One day while working as a lowly instructor at the local university, I lost it in front of 100 students. I see now that had something to do with irritability while maN*x.
4. During another Man*c/grieving episode lost tens of thousand of dollars in wild market speculations.
5. At the very first time I was running an adult ed class on creativity, I didn't notice the operation had 2 locations. Got dropped off (before I had my license) at the 'other' location without a means of getting to the right one (no cell, building dark and locked).

That's just five. I'm exhausted.

Donald Hall, when commenting on Casey at Bat's 100th anniversary and the many sequels it inspired where Casey hits the ball out of the park:
Quote:
None of the triumphant sequels will do. None show the flair of Thayer's ballad, its vigorous bumpety heptameter and mostly well-earned rhymes, or its consistently overplayed language. Most important, none celebrates failure. Casey may strike out: Casey's failure is the poem's success.
Perhaps my own failures are my life's successes. This should keep m'ed spinning a bit.

Revu2

Revu2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote