View Single Post
SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 04, 2021 at 05:16 PM

Hello again. Sorry for my late reply as I was not online much over the holiday weekend. I'm usually not online much on the weekends anyway.

I am glad your daughter has been able to get up mid-morning on her own accord. That, to me is a sign that the depression is not all encompassing and also that she has some motivation. These are good signs. I think you are doing the right thing to not ask too many questions. Try not to feel like you are walking on eggshells. She will probably notice that. Try to just be as normal as possible. What is your kitten's name? I have two cats: Esther--a Russian Blue mix rescue, and Amelia--a Snowshoe mix rescue. Both of them are very good for my mental health. Amelia laid on my lap this morning and Esther slept in my bed last night. Plus taking care of them reminds me to take care of myself and also helps me feel like I have purpose.

Some therapists will do a risk assessment each time they meet with a client for self harm, suicide, etc. Others do not and rely on various other cues to let them know how their client is doing. I have had both types of therapists. They look at stuff like cleanliness, affect, appropriately dressed for the weather, general mood. Stuff like that. Others are more explicit such as "Have you had any thoughts of harming yourself or others since we last spoke?" My regular doctor PCP is like that. She just flat out asks me every time I go to see her. My therapist that I have now asks about every session. The one I had previously relied on her own judgement. One suicide attempt was under her care and one was under the care of the therapist I have now.

It sounds like her therapist is very qualified. That's good. It is most important that they "click" and have a good relationship as the relationship heals more than the degree does if that makes sense.

Just take it a day at a time and try to not worry excessively. I don't know if in person therapy will outweigh the risks of living alone but I'm sure your daughter misses some of her independence. Both of my suicide attempts took place when I was living at home (I have always lived at home) so I don't know that much about living alone.

Try to stay hopeful and positive if you can. Not fake positive but just normal positive. It's always easier to go to someone if they are hopeful and positive and not like, "Ack the ceilings coming down!" My parents have gotten easier to talk to over time. But it took me being hospitalized before that really changed. Now they seem to understand the seriousness of it all and they are showing me that they are hopeful for me and positive for me. This makes it easier to go to them when I am struggling. They remind me that I can come to them too. I don't find it annoying. I find it reassuring.

Your post seemed pretty positive. It sounds like your daughter wants to continue with her studies right now and everything. This is good. Might be an increase in motivation. I wish the best for your daughter and for you and your family. PM me anytime. HUGS and prayers Kit

Hugs from:
coronalight