View Single Post
SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jul 2018
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 05, 2021 at 05:05 PM

Usually for depression and anxiety a mix of medications and therapy is suggested. There are many different types. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is pretty popular. I don't really like it but a lot of people do and find it very effective. But there are way more kinds of therapy. Do you have insurance? You can ask your insurance company to give you a list of therapists (or look online at like Psychology.com--I think they have a list) and just try a couple out and see if you click. I'm with @The Black Dog about the lorazepam. I'm surprised they are not offering an anti-depressant. But if you are just getting treatment at the ER they tend to do short term stuff. Do you have a GP or a PCP? You can start there although really I suggest a psychiatrist because they know their stuff. Your GP or psychiatrist should be able to give you a list of referrals to therapists also. My PCP wouldn't even treat me without a psych consult, although she did initially give me an antidepressant to start something to help me.. That's how I eventually found the psychiatrist I'm with.

Thanks for this!
*Beth*