View Single Post
rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,037 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2021 at 09:23 AM

I understand the feeling of wanting your own place, but I also have to agree with the good points that Divine has mentioned. My husband and I bought a house at the end of 2018 and it took a long while to get into a position to do so. We waited until we were able to put 20% down and could afford to make payments on a 20-year mortgage rather than 30 years, to get it paid off more quickly. We've made 2 years of payments so far. We also both had stable income, no other debt and a decent amount of money in savings to cover the expenses that inevitably come up.

I am not sure about mobile homes, but other properties will be subject to property taxes, so you may have to budget for that too. We're fortunate that property taxes for houses and apartments below a certain size are relatively low in this country, so we don't pay that much, but I know in some places in the US they can be a significant expense.

From what you have said, you are still working on paying down debt and getting started with savings. I'd say focus on that first, especially paying down the higher interest rate credit.
rechu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote