View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2021 at 05:05 PM

The challenging thing about alcoholism/abuse is the anger can come out when very drunk or it can come out when sober and in withdrawl. For example if someone binges on the weekends, by Monday and Tuesday they can be very moody and even easy to anger.

I remember my parents arguing about alcohol and drinking too much. My father kept insisting he did not have a problem and would try to prove it by obstaining for a time. Problem was that entire time he was grouchy. So basically it's sort of a dry drunk behavior.

Children don't understand what alcoholism means, and some think it's "just something adults do".

There are tons of excuses alcohol addicts/ abusers have to deni they have a problem. It's a form of gaslighting others and self. Because they are IN THE DISEASE they don't see how their behaviors affect others. Hence, they LACK SELF AWARENESS. There are many narcissistic behavior patterns in the disease of alcoholism. "I will drink less" isn't controlling this disease either, it's just another method of DENIAL. Plenty of alcoholics don't do crazy things when drunk, I have heard that time and again from alcoholics in denial how they can control their behavior. There is no "well the problem will go away once I" either. I have heard that so many times over in my life and in learning about this disease. Like I mentioned, there are seemingly endless excuses and reasons. It IS for all intense purposes CHEATING, a love affair with the disease and saying it isn't happening and gaslighting. It is cheating your loved ones and even friends and often even work collegues etc. It's a self absorbing world and instead of working through emotions, having them run rampid within and seeing everything externally all while running from the interal growth that needs to take place.

My husband has invested years in learning how to live his life sober and helping others to do the same.

A friend told me years ago when she was divorcing her alcoholic husband, "if there are discussions or arguements about alcohol at all there IS a problem". Her ex-husband died quite young of alcoholism.

Last edited by Open Eyes; Jan 08, 2021 at 06:16 PM..
Open Eyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto