Silver Swan

Member Since Jan 2008
2,551 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2021 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Eyes View Post
Years ago I watched a documentary about alcoholism and how this man got to the point where he had to drink every day or he would get very sick. And how he tried to stop and almost died the withdrawl was so bad. One would think that would be enough to keep him from drinking again and when you get to a certain level, that's exactly where you go when you drink again. People think "I will be able to drink very little since I have been off a while", that is simply not what happens, instead the person experiences the stage they were in and the nightmare starts all over again. It showed how this man HAD to drink just to stop the shakes of withdrawl.

It was hard to watch how bad this disease can get.
This is exactly my dad. Maybe 15 years ago, he and his two brothers planned a "brothers weekend". My dad stopped drinking cold turkey for this trip. One of the days they were together, my dad went through a horrible withdrawal- my one uncle found my dad on the floor passed out in his own vomit. He left him there to die! And he is a police officer. My other uncle finally came home to this and immediately called for help. He was hospitalized. There was another similar time when my sister went to see him and ended up in the hospital. He had no idea what was going on. He thought my cousin was there and was "talking to her". I luckily have never seem him this way in person although I did have some coffee with him when his hands were shaking really bad and he was trying to eat these cheese sticks that were way too hot.

Ativan .5 mg 2x/day
Propranolol 20 mg 2x/day

Mania (December 2023)
Mixed episode/Hypomania (September 2023)
Depression, Anxiety and Intrusive thoughts (September 2021)
Depression & Psychosis (July/August 2021)
Mania (April/May 2019)
Moose72 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Open Eyes