Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 09, 2021 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
I don’t usually get angry at people but when I do I can get really pissed. And when I get mad people sometimes half smile and laugh. I don’t get it. My therapist did this when I last got mad at her. My mom can do it too.

Can someone explain this?
I admit in my life off the computer when people yell at me I do smile and laugh. for you see...

number 1..when someone is angry and lashing out by yelling and aggression their body language, facial expressions and tone of voice can actually be quite funny like a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum over a toy. as parents know its actually quite hard to keep a straight face when a child is throwing a temper tantrum, and so in adults seeing this childish behavior can be quite funny.

number 2 .. in this past decade theres been a huge amount of teaching and training on how to handle aggressive behaviors, from school bullies, to unsafe situations, parenting and so forth. one of those factors is teaching adults and children to talk not yell and diffuse an aggressive situation or just smile and walk away. dont get hooked into debating or discussing with an aggressive person. just smile and walk away.

number 3 reason why I smile / laugh/ walk away is because I know that when someone is yelling at me its a reflection on them not me, its their being triggered, their being angry, their having a bad day, or they just are not a very nice person and I choose not to engage in the art of taking care of someone elses triggers, anger, bad day. So I smile sometimes laugh and walk away. theres more to life then engaging in the behaviors of an aggressive person.

number 4...I prefer to spend my quality and quantity of time on someone being kind and caring and knows how to discuss with out aggressive tactics like yelling.

and number 5.. I have learned to just smile, laugh and walk away for their yelling is a reflection on them and what kind of person they are, its not a reflection on or about me.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote