View Single Post
NonFiction

Member Since Jan 2021
Default Jan 09, 2021 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
You said you went to college but your job prospects didn’t improve. What did you go to college for? What field? Could you share so we might suggest something?

I obtained a diploma in software development about 5 years ago, after a life-threatening accident at work. It wasn't something I loved, but I thought it would offer me some better career prospects. Besides, computers are everywhere, right?

Wrong.

After 5 years, almost $20,000 in tuition, hundreds of dollars in career coaching, unpaid internships to acquire 'experience', countless resume updates and interview preparations, nothing has worked. No employer will hire me as a software developer, technical support, really nothing at all.

And being 'self-employed' as a website designer is stupid. Unless you are a major corporation with specific website needs, it makes absolutely zero sense to hire an individual to make you a website from scratch. For $10/ month, anyone can have a beautiful website online almost instantly, with e-commerce features and almost everything a small business or individual would want, with 24/7 technical support to boot. That's what I have done with my own website. Why spend weeks doing something that can be accomplished so cheaply and so quickly?

I doubt I even have the skills to do that kind of development anymore. Working 130 hours a week doing manual labour hasn't really left me much opportunity to practice or upgrade my skills for the last 5 years.

To make ends meet I've done everything from cleaning portable toilets (the taste of raw human sewage is not one I will forget), to long-haul truck driving, the same job that almost killed me before I went back to college.

I know I'll never have a job I like, much less love. What I am struggling with now is how to accept this and the thought of living like this, doing these sometimes quite literally crappy jobs, the rest of my life.

Current Diagnoses: Autism, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder/Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Former: Epilepsy, Apraxia.

Current Rx/day: 200mg Zoloft/Sertraline, 100mg TraZadone, 0.5mg Zanax, 0.5mg Rexaulti, 0.5mg Abilify, 150mg Pinaverium Bromide.
NonFiction is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote