View Single Post
NonFiction

Member Since Jan 2021
Default Jan 09, 2021 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinit View Post
I frankly think it's the rare person who gets some kind of satisfaction out of work. I do what I do and I find satisfaction in life AFTER I'm done working. Work is what provides income and it's mostly repetitious. I log in, do the work and log out.

Is there nothing you enjoy doing that doesn't involve work? If you can't think of anything, would volunteer work satisfy the need? Working with kids, working with the homeless, working with the mentally ill or other autistic individuals as a mentor?

I enjoy many things after work. I own almost 1,300 in-print, nonfiction books (I don't read fiction), and I am currently working on my own book.

But that's not the point I am trying to make. Enjoying things AFTER work doesn't help me much AT work, especially when I spend 10-20 hours a day there.

Besides, what's the utility in doing something I enjoy, if I can't use that to do anything meaningful in the world?

I am remind of that quote often attributed to Albert Einstein: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I feel a lot like a fish living in a world that values me based on my ability to climb a tree.

Yes, I do enjoy many things. Yes, I do have hobbies. But this, to me, is the equivalent of writing: "You're a fish, can't you swim?" Yes, I can swim, I am an excellent swimmer, but swimming isn't helping me climb that
Sequoia I see everyday!

Current Diagnoses: Autism, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder/Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Former: Epilepsy, Apraxia.

Current Rx/day: 200mg Zoloft/Sertraline, 100mg TraZadone, 0.5mg Zanax, 0.5mg Rexaulti, 0.5mg Abilify, 150mg Pinaverium Bromide.
NonFiction is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote