View Single Post
Salmon77
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2014
106 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 12, 2021 at 02:49 PM

With my T my assumption is that if he shares something, it is because he feels comfortable doing so, and/or thinks it will be helpful to me. If I ask a question he doesn't feel okay about answering, he deflects the question or turns it back to me, or otherwise just changes the subject. So I don't really worry because it's up to him to share or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSweden View Post
My counselor, who isn't a therapist - we do something similar to "supportive chats", has shared rather a lot about herself from the start of our contact two years ago.

Sometimes I feel she perhaps feel there's a need for her to share something as I, as her patient, shares about myself and what happens to me.

I'm not sure but today I got a hunch that she feels she needs at least some kind of boundaries which I feel only positive about.

Sometimes I slip into her way of sharing about herself and I ask about or comment on something more personal. I don't know what she actually thinks about that, as an exemple I asked her if she'd had negative experiences in the town she was born as she told me she wouldn't want to move back there.

I really wonder if she shares as much with other long term patients and if she's really comfortable with it. It's not my responsibility to guide her into how much she shares or not but I do wonder about it.

How would you reason around this?
Salmon77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
SarahSweden, SlumberKitty