Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2014
1,277 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 18, 2021 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple,Violet,Blue View Post
Thank you, Divine. That's really helpful to have another phrase (complicated grief) to help me understand

I'm sorry your stepkids are going through it Poor things. Yes, relief, of course How lucky they are to have a wise, caring person like you

I felt that I'd somewhat moved onto 'forgiveness' with my own dad.

When I was in my early 30's, I had a vivid dream in which he and I were trying to stay afloat in a cold, dark sea (sorry if this triggers anyone). He was going down, and I was trying to hold him up. His face was right in front of mine. And (in the dream), I realised that I would have done anything (even give my own life) to save him

That was a cathartic moment, for me. I'd been furiously angry with the man for a long time. But the dream allowed me to settle in my own mind the real truth of the matter; I did not want to kill him. I loved him. And, as I said - I chose to at least try and move towards forgiveness.

So, it's come as a surprise to find myself missing him so much. Birthdays can do that, can't they? It's as though you've bumped into that person on the street, and can suddenly see and feel them again, and you worry that you haven't bought them a birthday card, or called them for ages, and that they might not have enough money to get by

Birthdays are hard aren’t they. They could be triggering. Moving towards forgiveness is wise. Sometimes forgiveness isn’t possible. I try radical acceptance. Cant change what happened. It is what it is kind of thing. Cant always forgive but don’t have to agonize as it cannot be changed.

PS thank you for kind words. My stepdaughters are adults now, they both endured a lot along with their dad, my husband. Even after her death, bad things linger. Right now we are finding out she used OUR address two hours away from where she lived or was homeless at to apply for things and stuff. Long story. Still I am respectful as she is their mother. When they vent, I listen but I told them I personally can’t speak poorly of her to them. Not my place. They get it.

I send you hugs and support
divine1966 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Purple,Violet,Blue