View Single Post
comrademoomoo
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2019
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 19, 2021 at 04:14 PM

So what if SarahSweden is questioning whether she can work with her counsellor? That doesn't invalidate her query. I routinely look for reasons to not trust my therapist and to be suspicious of her intentions, does this mean I don't have valid questions about the nature of trust in therapy? I would hope that we can explore these kind of ethical questions here, I am not sure why some posters are looking to shut down the discussion on the basis of Sarah's personal and individual circumstances. Indeed, if Sarah is "too good" for therapists - well, firstly, all power to her, maybe she is - then it seems to me that this is exactly the kind of ethical issue she might want to explore. Sorry to speak about you in the third person, Sarah!

Quote:
I don't think anyone would be defending a therapist who was engaging in illegal activities.
Oh hi, I would! For example, I would not be bothered by my therapist shoplifting. If she took part in certain acts of civil disobedience or illegal protest, I would not question her ethical stance as a therapist. There are many illegal direct actions she might undertake as part of feminist protest which I would support.

However, the interesting point for me is not about individual actions and specific activities, it is about the theoretical idea that ideological conflict might exist between personal sphere and professional/public role.
comrademoomoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
RoxanneToto