Grand Poohbah

Member Since May 2019
6,984 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 24, 2021 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronalight View Post
Any attempt to discuss this matter ends with "I cannot focus/I have no motivation" and another full day in bed.

For this reason we do not know where to draw the line between giving her more time to work with her therapist and pressuring her to contact the school to find out what options she has going forward.

Would a letter from a therapist be enough for the college to approve a medical leave of absence for this term? I am trying to find info online on the college website but the only advice I see is to contact the school.
I am parenting an adult child with mental health issues. Take my advice with a grain of salt because we handled it very badly. At one point while in school (our child is no longer is school, did not finish), when more than one day of school was missed--I would pester our child about going back then after a while--my H became angry/lectured our child. It resulted in our child laying around for a week then when the teachers were contacted (according to our child)--they all said it was too late to fix it (failing grades in all classes). That this child focussed on the angry outburst in this way was likely evidence of a mental health issue but, unfortunately , we did not see it that way. As far as contacting the school with a letter from a therapist--I have read that schools will make an accommodation for a disability but, unfortunately, in my experience, your child will have to take the initiative to contact the school. Getting our children to take the initiative was a challenge for us when they were in school (for example, they would sleep through initial registration then they would not be able to get some of their required classes ).

What made it even harder to manage was that when your child turns 18, the schools our children attended would not talk to us about anything--they wouldn't even tell us our children's grades even though we were paying for school (though they would accept payments ). So we did not feel good about continuing to pay for school unless our children could show they were at least mostly getting passing grades (and one our our children scored so high on the SAT that college credit was received for the score plus that child had 24 advanced placement college credits but was not going to class nor wanted to continue to go to school. ). Again, we handled it all very badly but eventually, we have to pass the responsibility to our children and go on with our lives . We are willing to pay for psychiatrists and therapists if our child is willing.

Sorry if this is not that encouraging. I do understand how heartbreaking all of this is.
TunedOut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
coronalight