AliceKate
Grand Member

Member Since Jan 2021
2,208 hugs
given
Default Jan 27, 2021 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberKitty View Post
Yes, my diagnosis helped me. It was like a sigh of relief. I had finally gotten the right diagnosis and it was like finally this is what is "wrong" with me. This is what I can work on. It gave the doctors the right diagnosis to get the meds right, which for me include two anti-depressants and two anti-psychotics, and ADHD med, and anti-anxiety medication, and a sleep medication. For me this helped me tremendously to get on the right meds. I hardly hallucinate now. And they are briefer episodes. I don't experience as much paranoia. I do have blunted affect which I think is because of the medicine but I'm not sure. Do you want medication? That seems what a diagnosis is useful for but also for me just for defining myself.
Honestly, I have a deep seated mistrust against medication and classification. My go-to argument against classification is that psychopaths have a statistically significantly higher suicide rate than the general population and that makes at best marginal sense if any at all considering their core classification criteria involve shallow affect and such.
About medication, I think we know so little about the brain that it seems scary to meddle with it. I've had this general opinion and then I read "Cracked - Why psychiatry is doing more harm than good", which bolstered my opinion.

On the other hand, if the panic attacks come back, I'm probably up for anything (and then, I agree, I need a diagnosis).

Last edited by AliceKate; Jan 27, 2021 at 02:37 PM..
AliceKate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Purple,Violet,Blue