View Single Post
Anonymous328112

Default Jan 28, 2021 at 12:55 PM

Suffice it to say, there are varying opinions on the topic.

The first question I would pose is -- would an individual post from everyone talking about their day really constitute the envisioned motive of this forum? I wouldn't think so. Call it having taken issue from the past -- but there are notoriously times mods will decide your posts belong somewhere else and move them. They have a general chat section and they don't hesitate to decide where it's best for your posts to go. That aside, the sense of community and bonding I feel are strong components to the idea of veracity of what the forum tries to encompass and therefore, are generally accepted.

I post in "mega threads" often and I personally don't have qualms with it. If my question or discussion is bipolar related or delves into aspects of the illness, I'll make a separate post, hoping for traction and comments. In my case, I'm simply talking about my day or something that happened in a check-in thread, I'm not expected a reply but I do see it's read and get support through likes/hugs. Its nice to feel acknowledged. It's not on topic, per se, but it is a community building exercise.

I don't want to read too much into what you're asking though, cause I could veer off course easily. From what I understand, you don't have any ill will or issue with them existing, but you particularly don't see the appeal -- your question is what attracts mega threads, if I understand correctly. For me, I guess it's all about how to approach the forum. Some are here to form close bonds with others and have, and that's great. I know many use the private message function often to keep up on a more personal basis. I see check-in thread to be particularly a nice medium. You may not know the person well enough to inquire about them, but it's nice to hear about their day -- again, back to a bonding scenario as BethRags mentioned. I think that's part of the appeal -- just existing in a realm outside of a particular topic or argument and seeing a person in a light of their everyday. I like that. Snippets -- not threads chronicling day-to-day of each individual, but just enough to know how they are and how they're doing. I like it.

So, that's my response. I find appeal in that. Hope this helps!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, bizi, Soupe du jour

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Fuzzybear, Soupe du jour