View Single Post

Default May 07, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Hey. Personally, I don't see the point of a client seeing the notes. If you are using your insurance for reinbursement, who cares what they know. The people in the insurance company don't know you personally, and most are not "educated" about diagnosis, treatment, etc to make personal judgements. They simply look at "rules and guidelines" established by the insurance company and then decide about sessions. For example, my T could tell the worst things in the world about me to the insurance and it would not matter. After 30 sessions, T is required to have a phone "hearing" to determine if I am making progress.

All that insurance cares about is saving money. They don't care about you as a person.

Also, the insurance company has to keep everything about you confidential. So, no one else will see it.

Most T's know how to work the system to help you get the most sessions and coverage you need. Who cares what they say to do that.

Now, about notes in general.
I have seen old T's notes. When I moved, I requested a copy to take with me. Overall, I think it did more harm than good, because it was very clinical and to the point. And I knew in my heart that the relationship was more than "client has this and client discussed that."
Notes are kept for several reasons: to document occurrences in therapy if there was ever a legal issue, to document so that T can remember, and to document for insurance purposes.
They are NOT documenting the true relationship. T can't write in the notes "I care deeply for Rip and I wish she would stop hurting herself." T writes "Client is self destructive." See?????
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote