View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,628 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 30, 2021 at 07:25 AM

My former CEO had written a magnificent recommendation for me on my LInkedIn profile. We had had a very positive rapport during my tenure at his company and we had become friends to a certain extent.

Going forward, I need to retain his positive reference, especially since I cannot rely on my former boss for a reference in the future.

However, my former CEO also had hit on me after he laid me off from my job. I totally blew it off and at the time, and told him it wasn't a good idea.

When I received my recent job offer, I wrote my former CEO an email to let him know of my new job. I was excited and wanted to share the great news.

So we finally spoke on the phone yesterday about it and to catch up.

So I know I am crossing lines with him in some ways by talking about my personal issues with him, ie, my pending divorce. But we had always talked on a more personal level, ever since day 1 when I started working for him. So that is nothing new to our relationship/friendship.

I feel like we could be good friends, but I definitely do NOT want to give him any more mixed messages.

We shared on the phone yesterday information about our respective divorces. He is also getting divorced, after years and years in a bad marriage.

When we were finishing up the phone call, he said, "oh, you live alone now? So I can call you?" I said yes, before I realized what he was truly saying to me.

I hung up the phone and did one of those hand to the forehead face slaps. ARGH! What was I thinking?!?!

Now he thinks I want him to call me because I am single again! NOT my intention!!!!!!

MY intention is to maintain a positive rapport and FRIENDSHIP with him - nothing romantic.

I am not asking for constructive criticism. I understand that by talking more personally with him, that it could give him the wrong impression. I totally get that.

But what do I do if he calls me again and wants to get together? With the intention of something more than just friendship?

I have never been very good at being direct with my lack of interest in someone romantically. I usually come up with lame excuses instead.

IF this happens, I will have to address it with him: I only want friendship. I am not comfortable crossing lines with someone who used to be my boss/superior.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto