View Single Post
Misterpain

Member Since May 2016
Default Feb 03, 2021 at 08:03 PM

There are no shortcuts ,or fast adjustment ,I am not going to lie and say there is , you have to slog thru it.One minute, 1 hour ,1 day at a time .

It's a major trauma ,it changes just about everything in your life not slowly or gently its an in your face full on "assault" to everything you know as normal , i got mine around the same age ( i am early 50's now) so life will beat you down ,you need to get up and fight back . Learn nutrician
Learn diabetes
Learn cooking

I think when you get past the steep learning curve, it starts to get easier , we all have "Trouble foods" things we realy enjoy , that our body dont , ( to use a technical term it makes your BG go "spork" when it shouldn't, or is something that should and your BG barely notices, if your a bread lover ,give it up now ,it will just break your heart later ( i love bagles , but they are a hard pass,except in limited quantities ,or giving up everything you would "normaly" eat ,just to go steady wolfing down a bagle and cream cheese like its "normal" and Cool , I probably have cranberry multi grain ones with mold on them in the cupboard, 1 bag of six gets moldy before you can eat all of them . Now something like a wheat bread is doable ,or a good rye bread ( as long as the baker didn't hide a pound of sugar in it ) .

Pick your poison saccharin, stevia, splenda . Those will replace your old friend sugar in everything ,stevia is natural its a leaf ,it is not my personal "favorite" sure take the one you shouldnt ,moron ! Splenda unfortunately have has long term effects on brain cells and neurotransmiters ( two things i don't have extras of ) . Yes many veggies are good tasty and healthy , and then there's those things that keep you up at night asking god is this his humour , making an onion a carbohydrate ! Thats heresy i have never met an onion i wouldnt eat ,boiled,pickled, fried ,sauteed ( yep i am one of those people , vampires dont come to my hood, the space station can smell my garlic and onions ) in your learning cooking , learn spices calorie free ,carb free , and adds a ton of free flavor , and well I am ranting broccoli cauliflower another sick joke ?

Keep a sense of humour ,or like me a protective snark as you walk down this new path of life, the only constant in life is change , the only guarantee is every day from tiny insignifigant to mind meltdown is a series of choices ( door #1,2, or 3) and what you choose today can ruin your day TOMMOROW.

Life and diabetes are a minefield , that can have really profound effect on what where and how you live when your ( old and grey and I can't tell you from the sheets,it's an old song lyric ) .

You got diabetes at a good time ( like there a good time) I have been stabbing my fingers and squeezing out blood to test my sugar for 25 years and now some wisenheimmer comes up with the Continuous Glucose Monitor its a sensor you'll be able to change every ten days , well it gives you readings every 5 minutes, I got one this time last year ,and haven't used it yet ( I have had cataracts for last three years and been on hold for surgery for last 2 years , my doctor had to switch me from vial and needle because I couldn't literally see how much insulin I was drawing up, and theres only one talking glucometer on the market , the doctor thought the CGM would be great for me ,because insurance is penny wise pound foolish in test strip rationing ,i can test 4 times a day, and get 1 reading ,because i couldnt see the blood drop on my finger , the test strip would get enough blood to tell me insufficient blood test again , but not enough to actually test , so heres the cute part the CGM has a sensor serial number written in fine print, you have to read and enter it into remote ? Makes sense right ) being in a power wheelchair is not fun, being diabetic even less fun , not being able to see well that will just make you want to strangle something ,like the lady in the glucometer who won't tell me what my sugar is ,LOL

I don't know about you but in my first life I was a rat, i kept my love of cheese , and thats a good food to snack on , and we can eat all the lean meat and fish we want pretty much , I am a native N.Yer so tube steak is in my DNA ,right next to the mustard and ( you guessed it ONIONS! ) . Arghhh

Have I scared you yet ? Let's just get scared out of the way now , the adjustments you will make are huge ,but it's not something you or we should be scared of ,if we embrace it do the work and make the changes , we can still live good lives .

Oh say goodbye to wine beer or spirits , they break down in your body to empty calories and sugar !

The crazy part of it , The things we Have to do are things we should be doing because they are good for us as people ,but we aren't given a phase in period ,of let's live healthy , it's just rammed down our throat ,but hey your getting the same deal on convid 19 , the whole world changes over nite .

So feel free to ask anything ( the only way to learn is ask ,no such thing as dumb questions, the only way to have knowledge is to pass it on , freely)

Yes the next day after diagnosis , i cried a river and had me a good olde fashioned pity party, and bent my doctors ear till she didn't have one ( that's normal and healthy response when someone drops a hand greanade in your lap without the pin) which is the way it feels and looks ) , sure I didn't tell you much about my personal experience of getting the diagnosis ,that's because I have had many years to figure this out ,you haven't , so if you want to talk vent scream yell ask questions ,mourn your loss ,process i am here ,what ever you need , its snowy cold slippery out so i am staying in lettinģ my eyes heal ( theres a pandemic out there and I just had Edward Scissorhand in my eyeballs ) so feel free to talk ask or share anything you need to , I'll be a mouse tap away .
Misterpain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna

Thanks for this!
unaluna