View Single Post
buddha1too
Veteran Member

Member Since Sep 2011
2,547 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 03, 2021 at 10:26 PM

Just my opinion, but I feel contact with a therapist outside of scheduled appointments fosters neediness & dependency, which isn't healthy in my particular case. My theraputic goal is to develop the ability to tolerate stressors using tools I develop in the sessions with my therapist.

I also understand that my therapist's plate is mighty full these days, what with all the anxiety & depression resulting from the fallout from the pandemic. She's working her *** off & I respect that. In addition to the long hours she's putting in, she has a personal life, too. There have been times when I'm especially anxious & depressed that I'll call the suicide hotline to talk myself down...even if I'm aware I'm not going to try anything. If things are absolutely awful, she'll make an earnest attempt to get me in when she can or, if my bipolar symptoms are flairing up, I'll call the shrink to seek a temporary pharmaceutical fix.

I don't mean to sound self-righteous, though...& I'm sorry if I come off that way. I've been dealing with my mental illnesses for decades now, & would like to think I'm farther down the path than some people. I still recall how I felt at the age of 16-20, when I didn't know what was wrong with me, or if I could ever fly straight. I'm amazed I survived those years. Good luck to anyone who is feeling the kind of hopelessness I felt back then.
buddha1too is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
RoxanneToto, SlumberKitty, Taylor27

Thanks for this!
jeremiahgirl, sarahsweets