View Single Post
comrademoomoo
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2019
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 12, 2021 at 03:16 PM

The word "replace" seems really charged for you. I am going back to my original question; were you replaced? Is that an accurate word to describe a situation where a therapist allocates a time slot to another client? You are not replaced since you still exist and your relationship with her still exists.

The reality here is your position as a client. Assuming she is a decent therapist, none of her clients will be more important than others, although you will all have specific and significant relationships with her. And I can't imagine that you would want there to be a hierarchy of clients because how would you feel if you weren't top of the hierarchy? For me: the horror!!! Personally, it would not be useful (although it would be comforting!) for her to reassure me that she had not replaced me. If she soothes me, then we are caught in a collusion where the aim is to avoid my pain around the reality, which might also be present in my history, of "being replaced". As hurtful as I find it when she can't/won't soothe me, it is often when I make most progress.

This is hurtful and horrid, but sometimes I think we need to get in amongst the hurtful and horrid and try to keep hold of our responses so we can examine them rather than be carried away by them. When you figure out how to do that, let me know!
comrademoomoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ScarletPimpernel, SlumberKitty, unaluna

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, atisketatasket, InkyBooky, LonesomeTonight, Mystical_Being, Rive., Salmon77, ScarletPimpernel, unaluna