Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,628 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 18, 2021 at 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
I had a guy once bothering me at work, not superior. He was exceptionally lazy. There was a task he had to complete and he didn’t want to do it. It was important for me that he does it (long story but the task was something had to be done or it would reflect poorly on me if he didn’t do it). I didn’t invent the task but I was the one who needed it done. So I’d keep reminding him to do the task.

He then started to make jabs and back handed rude comments to me in passing. In front of others or alone. It took me a minute to figure out what’s he doing. One day I stopped him and asked if he is having personal problem with me. He freaked out oh no no I don’t. I said the comments you make sound like you are having issues with me. I’d be glad to resolve those in the meeting with administration and you can explain what is that you have against me. He again looked all freaked out no no I don’t have any issues. So if you don’t have any issues I expect comments completely stop. Ok ok. He never made another nasty comment and was polite until he retired.

Could the person be ignored? If the person could not be ignored and you have to work with her, I personally would say I feel we started on a wrong foot, could we start over and see how we can improve our communication. I’d like us to have good rapport. She might be receptive

Oh no please, no HR.
That's a very good example of how to stand up to someone and confront them directly, but in a professional manner.

But what about someone above you in position who is not your boss? No, I did not report anything to HR. I reported it to my boss, however, and appropriately, I do believe. I addressed it with her directly, yet she chastised me and berated me on the phone when we had a discussion about it. Afterwards, I informed my boss that she had approached me with a very punitive, corrective and negative manner on the phone, but that by the end of the conversation, we had turned it around to a more positive tone.

I hope that perhaps behind the scenes, it's being addressed and handled.

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote