View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 24, 2021 at 02:43 PM

Thanks. My counselor always avoid topics of emotional character and even if I could tell her how I feel I know I won't be met in such a way that it would be helpful. Especially if my feelings come from something she did or said.

She knows I have only her in the town I live and I think some part in staying rather neutral, that she doesn't validate or explain feelings comes from a fear that I'll get too attached to her if she did those things.

Last time she at least showed a little bit more when the subject about her mother-in-law came up. Even if it was very subtle I could see a bit of a sadness in her facial expression when she told me a little about the funeral.

When it comes to a loss and death I had found it natural if she had cried but at the same time that had made me think of her even more, I'd analyse parts in such an event and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine1966 View Post
I don’t think one needs to be a therapist to be able to discuss how something effects someone else. You often say because she is not a therapist she can not understand or discuss something. It’s not a big mystery. I find it curious that you feel this way. Ton of people in all kind of professions can understand and discuss how other people feel. Not just therapists. What if you bring it up?

It’s hard to tell when someone is upset about something. Especially if you need to appear certain way at work. It would be unprofessional for her to appear visibly upset. I rarely look visibly upset but it doesn’t mean I am not.

If you don’t want her sharing, it’s ok to change the topic and talk about yourself instead
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote