View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM

You definitely do deserve stability. Mildly or moderately depressed is not success, in my book. Neither is perpetual low grade (or worse) mania. I will admit that medications alone are often not the cure all. Many other efforts are required, sometimes, for the best stability. And/or some luck. I'm sure you're working healthy living and therapeutic tools. Maybe try some new ones in addition to ones that have seemed at least a little helpful. Have you considered having your pdoc explore other depression fighting medications? I know that for some an antidepressant can be helpful. If antidepressants are no-nos, there are other antipsychotics that are known as helpful for depression. I'm thinking ones like Latuda. That, with Seroquel XR and some moodstabilizers, seemed to clear a fog for me. It eventually even made me vulnerable to hypomania, so the Latuda was removed with success. Another strategy could be a stimulant, especially if low energy is an issue. Provigil and Nuvigil can be safe for some, though not for me. I think both are available as generics now.

I had been on some medications that were miracle workers for me, but had to be eliminated because of side effects. And I'm pretty tolerant of most. In the end, I found Seroquel XR to offer the best results with the least of evil. I prefer the XR version over the IR. Both available in generics. It's been more helpful and closer to weight neutral for me. The IR always caused me hunger spikes. The more even release of XR doesn't as much, or at least the excess hunger eased over time. I experience similar benefits (XR vs. IR) in terms of fatigue/sleepiness. With the XR, I need only take it at night. When I was on only the IR, I had to take it twice per day. I do believe both Seroquels screw with my metabolic system, but they didn't as much until I was in my 40s.

Last edited by Soupe du jour; Feb 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM..
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*