View Single Post
Soupe du jour
Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 27, 2021 at 05:17 AM

It is such a tough decision. I mean, I think we all yearn for such chance of high accomplishment and more money. Sometimes disability is like a jail that is hard to get out of. They scare the living heck out of people by the threat of possible impoverishment. Of course I think (at least in the US) there is a trial period for full-time work, but it so often seems that people do well until the trial period ends. Then all heck breaks loose. If trying to work again was less risky, more of us would try. The same for people on welfare. Instead, there is continuing stigma.

Only you know if you're ready. If you want the job well enough, by all means at least apply and possibly interview for it. Perhaps if you take it, your employer will allow some accommodations or a possible fall back option? It's certainly worth asking if the offer for the job is made.

I'm not sure if it would be relevant or even a benefit at your workplace, but when I managed to transition back to full-time after a long period on private disability, I opted for the "extra" private disability option. That meant that I had more money taken out of my pay checks for a better higher-paying private disability, if it came to that again. And it did, and the pay was much better than the standard. The only bad point was that I eventually had to apply for SSDI. They paid back pay for SSDI, but then I had to repay the private insurance for the money I received during the back pay period. That was rough because the private disability payments were far greater than SSDI payments.

I don't think the above-mentioned is available to all people. I know some employers can simply terminate whenever they see fit, without any private disability or severance options.
Soupe du jour is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Aviza