Elder

Member Since Jun 2015
13.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 28, 2021 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha1too View Post
I've been diagnosed with neuropathy, so can relate to the numbness/burning you describe. It's gotten to the point where wearing shoes can be painful if I wear them too long. I have an appointment with a neurologist for testing, but couldn't get in until June. Do you have any ideas regarding the causes or cures for this?

As far as seeking a new shrink goes, prepare yourself. The pdoc I had in Germany said Americans prescribe far more meds than European pdocs do. My dosages were greatly reduced...& I was hospitalized. German hospitals are far more humane & theraputic than hospitals in the States...but that's another story.

I hope you managed to get some rest after being restless last night.
Thanks for sharing on this topic, buddah1too. I'm sorry to read you have neuropathy and that you must wait so long to see the neurologist. Hopefully when you do you can get to the bottom of it and get some relief. My husband has had peripheral neuropathy for much of his life. In recent years, he takes gabapentin (brand Neurontin) for it (with a little success) which you may know happens to be an anticonvulsant sometimes also used for bipolar disorder or anxiety relief.

I think my blood pressure medication, irbesartan, is the cause for my tingling/numb hands and feet, upon waking. It's only upon waking, at this point, but it's waking me up throughout the night. No pain. Just the tingling/numbness. Maybe if I could stop that med it would stop. Or at least if I knew it was the cause 100% I could just live with that. I do need some blood pressure med. It's skyrocketed over the last couple years, plus since I have kidney damage it's crucial I keep it in check.

I'm not opposed to my med cocktail being reduced, but I won't stand for a doctor to slash it, foolishly. I think I need to keep my Seroquel XR, but maybe my small dose of Lamictal and Klonopin could eventually go. I'm more reluctant to give up carbamazepine, for a reason, and yet I know pdocs hate to prescribe it with Seroquel. Even my carbamazepine dose is half what it used to be.

I guess no psych hospital is great, but my nephew had experience in one in Prague and he didn't hate it. One thing I'm considering is perhaps a psychological health "spa" if I need one, but am not in total crisis. Having lived in Germany, you must be familiar with these, i.e. das Bad? One in CZ is in Jeseník. In Czech, they are called "lázně",

Hugs from:
Anonymous41462, bizi, buddha1too

Thanks for this!
bizi, buddha1too