Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,873 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 01, 2021 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace14 View Post
My DNA was a surprise. Had always been told we were Dutch/Irish but the results showed otherwise. Also, confirmed a questionable family tree entry, 1% African (Bantu) My family certainly never said anything about this. But I'm okay with it and kind of always knew there was a connection to black people, black culture, etc. Which brings me to another question. How much does your DNA play into your behavior? Any thoughts on this? Another thing I found interesting was how people died. Helped me kind of get a better family health history. Plus, so many white immigrant descendants sold themselves into slavery to pay off their trip to America. That was interesting.
It sounds like the test you did gave very detailed information. It was able to tell you how they died and things they did?

I did Ancestry for less than $100. It confirmed I descended from where we thought, but extended the borders to the two neighboring countries. It also confirmed a paternity we questioned. When it showed me my close DNA matches to others who took the test, there was someone linked to me, only using a made up name, who I didn’t recognize. I messaged them, saying who I was and asking them who they are, but they never responded.

I think DNA plays a huge part in our behavior. It may totally dictate everything about it.

I took a different genetics test with a doctor due to susceptibility for BRCA. This pinpointed possible predispositions to medical issues. Fortunately, my test showed I am alright.

My mom did great research on our ancestry. I don’t know how she managed it without spending any money. She even wrote a letter to the old country in their language (one she doesn’t speak) by doing her best to translate, asking for information from them which they did send her! She found the ship they came to America on, and even their graves back in their town.

My aunt went there and took photos of the headstones. I joked that they didn’t speak to each other, just like our family barely does now. The headstones had the images of the people etched on them. They looked like us!

Last edited by TishaBuv; Mar 01, 2021 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Add more
TishaBuv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, pachyderm, Trace14