Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2014
2,762 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 03, 2021 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
It sounds like the test you did gave very detailed information. It was able to tell you how they died and things they did?

I did Ancestry for less than $100. It confirmed I descended from where we thought, but extended the borders to the two neighboring countries. It also confirmed a paternity we questioned. When it showed me my close DNA matches to others who took the test, there was someone linked to me, only using a made up name, who I didn’t recognize. I messaged them, saying who I was and asking them who they are, but they never responded.

I think DNA plays a huge part in our behavior. It may totally dictate everything about it.

I took a different genetics test with a doctor due to susceptibility for BRCA. This pinpointed possible predispositions to medical issues. Fortunately, my test showed I am alright.

My mom did great research on our ancestry. I don’t know how she managed it without spending any money. She even wrote a letter to the old country in their language (one she doesn’t speak) by doing her best to translate, asking for information from them which they did send her! She found the ship they came to America on, and even their graves back in their town.

My aunt went there and took photos of the headstones. I joked that they didn’t speak to each other, just like our family barely does now. The headstones had the images of the people etched on them. They looked like us!
I found out most of the information from continuing to search on everyone involved. It can be quiet complex since some of the names, mostly first and last, could take on different spellings depending on locations. Date of births are lots of times estimates. Not everyone had a death certificate. I would like to get the DNA test for ovarian cancer since that does run in the family.

Sometimes there is information on what ships they came in on or what settlements they were a part of when they landed. It was interesting how the immigrants often had to sell themselves into slavery to pay for their trips to America. How the Irish were used as slaves mostly in the Northern USA.

I have the full access plan which is kind of pricey but once I get to a place where I'm satisfied with what I know about my family I will cancel it.

Another interesting point is who served in the civil war. With most of my relatives being from the NC area ,there were relatives on the Confederate and Union side of the war.

"Caught in the Quiet"
Trace14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv, Travelinglady