Poohbah

Member Since May 2018
80 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 04, 2021 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel'smom View Post
I'm spinning. I learned today (at 5 am) that in June my son will be applying for grad/law school 4 hrs away. Grad school online was the plan originally. I'm nauseous. Not that I thought he was going to live here forever but up until now he was going to stay in our city, move into the park my family stays at and work at the library until he sets up his own business with his friends. New college legislation made it so he wants a JD. He plans to still come back and set up his own business but 4 years away he won't want to come back. AND the DEBT I'm trying to be supportive but I want to be like "NO!". I still have a year and couple months with him but this news shocked me. Part of me wants to be like so we're moving to X. Ones he moves he can't move back home. This is all still very early and may not happen but it has really thrown me. I thought I had 3 years left not 1. I'm trying to tell myself this isn't happening tomorrow. It's one thing to have him 15 min away another to be to far for our car to travel. Like I said I've been spinning and researching all day.
Hi MM, I can relate. Several years ago, my oldest son started a new job half way around the world (13 hour time difference). I was so sad when he left and it came as a surprise too.

I knew he would leave some day but I wasn't expecting it so soon and so far.

It was a tough time for me because I missed him so much. I coped by staying in touch by WhatsApp, doing video calls and sending him letters once in a while. He made it a point to come visit for holidays and birthdays, even mother's and father's day, and that helped me a lot.

He moved to California about a year ago so he was closer but still far away - it's a 6 hour flight. But he visited when he could which was always nice because it was closer so he sometimes visited for a long weekend.

A couple of months after the pandemic started he gave up his place in California and came back home to live with us. I have been so happy that he's here now but I know he will go back so I'm making the best of the time I have with him.

I know it's a shock for you MM and I won't say it is easy to let your child go, but there are ways to cope.

My avatar picture is a photo of the Whirlpool Galaxy I took in April 2023. I dedicated this photo to my sister who passed away in July 2016.

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Anonymous41462, bizi, Soupe du jour, Sunflower123, Victoria'smom

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, bizi, Soupe du jour, Sunflower123, Victoria'smom